Most light sensors detect light that is:
Emitted or given off from an object, such as the sun or a light bulb,
- Reflected from surfaces, and
- Transmitted through objects.
So what we see with our eyes and detect with machines depends on basically three factors:
- The quality of light available, especially the intensities of light emitted by the Sun,
- The impact of light traveling through the atmosphere, provided we are living on Earth,
- The impact of light reflecting from and transmitted through objects, and The quality of the light sensor.
Scientists and engineers have spent many decades studying each of these factors.